August 3, 2011

Meet & Greet: ColorStoryDesigns

Design team Amy Gibson and Andrea Read create unique one of a kind artwork form repurposed and discarded magazines and paper products.  Stop by and see all their amazing work.

flower vase made from recycled magazines
I asked Amy and Andrea a few questions about themselves and their business. Here is what they had to say:


Tell us a little about yourself and what you sell.
My name is Amy and I co-own colorstory designs with Andrea Read. Currently, Andrea is taking some time off from the business. For my day job, I am an architect, and most every other moment of the day I am trying to think of the next cool thing to make from recycled magazines :) Colorstory designs was created out of a need to have a creative outlet outside of work. I make all sorts of colorful items from recycled magazines; picture frames, earrings, mirrors, wine charms, necklaces, shadowboxes, etc.

pixel mirror made from recycled magazines
What is your favorite thing about creating?
My favorite thing about creating is the process experimenting. My initial ideas usually come to me at weird times throughout the day, so there are sketches on scrap paper everywhere! I love using my hands to create something that is so colorful- I often say that the result is a "labor of love" and I always want my prodcuts to go to happy homes :)

a living tree on the left shadowbox
Why did you decide to work with upcycled/recycled/repurposed/vintage materials?
When first thinking of magazines, i loved that they are colorful on their own, and they are overly abundant. I actually get my magazines from my local library- so they are truly saved from being thrown out. I love that I'm helping clean up the environment- on magazine at a time!

colorful pendant necklace made from recycled magazines
What is your favorite thing about running your Etsy shop?
I love interacting with customers- and creating custom orders. Working with magazines allows there to be endless color combinations - so every customer can feel like they are truly getting a product made just for them. I love hearing back from customers who love their products- it makes all the hard work worth it!

burst of bright mini picture frame
What inspires you to create/sell what you do?
I love that working with magazines allows me to create something new every time (because every sheet of magazine is totally different). I enjoy hearing that I've inspired someone to create something out of nothing- that what it's all about :)

ColorStoryDesign Links:
Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/colorstorydesigns?ref=pr_shop_more
Facebook: www.facebook.com/pages/colorstory/105913713568

Thanks for sharing Amy and Andrea,

My daughter is off to college this month so I will be back with more artists to Meet & Greet on September 7.
Valerie
Everyday Inspired

1 comment:

  1. how inspiring!! please check out my blog for some +vibes and inspiration! i am also hosting an awesome giveaway, a limited edition giclee print by the ever inspiring Lark Calderon Gomez! check it out!xo

    ReplyDelete