February 18, 2011

Love 2 DIY on the Weekend: Anatomy 101 from Inside Utopia

Anatomy of a Custom Sign

Recently I stumbled across a beautiful piece of antique furniture and was so impressed with the amount of work that had gone into creating it I wished I could strip back all of the layers to see how all of the different techniques and skills of the artist had come together to create the finished product.

Then it got me wondering...if I was thinking this about the work of someone else, had any of my customers ever wondered this about my products and an idea was born...to create a demonstration piece to show anyone who had bought or was thinking of buying one of my signs just what goes into making them.

Another bonus of doing this was that it allowed me to see if there was any way I could streamline the process or improve things.

I can highly recommend giving this a shot with your own products, it brought back all the memories of when I was working all of these techniques out, the frustration of not getting it right and the pure joy of figuring it out and seeing the end product and knowing all of those long long nights had been worth it.






Check out the processes involved in making one of my custom signs on MY BLOG!


UtopiaUF is a member of Upcyclers! You can see more of his upcycled furniture, housewares and signs on Etsy!

No comments:

Post a Comment